Saturday 14 September 2013

Welcome to the world of being an MUA

Let me introduce myself.....





Name: Katie Louise Mills
Age: 22
Birthday: 1st February 1991
From: England
Currently living: Bangkok, Thailand


My name is Katie Louise Mills, and I am originally from the England! My birthday is the 1st of February 1991, which makes me 22 years old.


So, why do I now live in Bangkok, Thailand?

Good question! I have been with my boyfriend for over 3 years now, and when I met him he was living in Bangkok playing professional football and I was studying in Cardiff, Wales for my degree. (This is another long story that for now, I shall skip!!!) After graduating from University, I decided to move in with my boyfriend and create a new life for myself on the opposite side of the world!! When I was leaving home I was very nervous and anxious, yet also incredibly excited! The weather is much warmer, no more need for my little bottle of sunshine that I oh so, relied on in the UK (fake tan!) , and I would be experiencing a whole new culture and lifestyle.

How long have you been living in Bangkok and, what do you do?

I have been living in Bangkok for just a year now and whilst I have been here, I have been teaching in both a International school and a language school. Although I never saw myself as a 'teacher' I took on the job purely for financial reasons, yet a huge part of me knew that it really wasn't for me.

Make-up artistry?

One day whilst getting ready for a night out, it dawned on me! Why didn't I look for possible make-up artistry classes in Bangkok? I have always had a passion for make-up  fashion and "the latest look". I have been wearing, playing and buying make-up since my early teens and love to doll up and make myself feel better! As I got older my friends started to ask me to do their make-up for events or nights out and this is where I fell in love with make-up; making people feel good about themselves gave me a great feeling of satisfaction!

Therefore, all of this has led me to where I am today! I have recently graduated as a professional freelance MUA in Bangkok after studying at Bangkok's International Makeup Centre (IMC). 

A little about IMC & the beauty course I took

The particular class that I decided to take was a part-time, 13 week course (200 hours) in beauty makeup. However, there are other courses and selections of starting dates/ part time or full time attendance  After waiting patiently for a month and half for the course to start, my first day arrived and I was oh so excited! Walking into the classroom I was greeted by friendly faces who were also joining the same journey that I was beginning to take. These people over the 13 weeks that I attended at IMC grew into great friends, people that I will never forget.  and hope to collaborate with in the near future. 
               On the first day of the course, we were presented with the schedule of what we would be learning over the period of the course. Scanning eagerly over the schedule, my eyes were drawn to classes such as bridal makeup, fashion makeup, commercial makeup, drag makeup and so many many more! Makeup ideas were already beginning to come together and I was itching to start looking for inspiration! 

The way the programme and course had been organised meant that learning was instant, theory and practicals were done on our very second day. The first few weeks of the course was spent being introduced to our makeup kit (prepaid), being introduced to different kinds of foundation bases and, recognising face shapes and learning how to correct them. We also learnt how to correct different eye and lip shapes to create the 'ideal' canvas. The theory side during these first few weeks taught us about the skin, the different layers and the way we can care for it and prep it before makeup application. We also looked at 'the spectrum of light' and the way lighting can directly effect makeup looks. 
         As the classes started to flow day by day, week by week I could see my work and my skill really developing. Half way into our course, we were given quite a task that would really test our makeup skills. July 23rd- 25th, we were brought to help do makeup for Hair World Magazine's, 3-day fashion show, in Siam Paragon. I have never felt so many 'butterflies' in my stomach as much as I did the first day of placement! Nervous shakes and sweats were beginning to take over, but as soon as the models entered the room there was no time for nervousness! As the day went on, the anxiety was very quickly replaced by confidence and enjoyment and I found myself really loving the atmosphere backstage, seeing the bare-faced models turn into catwalk goddesses!!                          
             After being thrown in the deep end, working at the fashion show it appeared that the experience in fact had a good effect upon the majority of us in the class. We were more daring and creative with our makeup practicals, more confident with our decisions and our passion for our love for makeup was ever growing! 
  
The thirteen week course was rapidly coming to an end, and gracing us was our final examinations (4 practicals, and 1 theory exam). Putting together all that we had learnt during our time at IMC, we finally passed and received our well deserved diplomas!!!

HELLO MAKEUP WORLD!! 













               



Here are a few instagram video's of our classes and creations! Dont forget to give me a follow
http://instagram.com/p/dgx0y6Hqp7/
http://instagram.com/p/bBPs_nnqr-/
http://instagram.com/p/bDlmZGHqqa/
I really hope you have enjoyed reading my blog, please follow/subscribe and recommend me to family/friends! If you have any questions, requests or inquiries please contact me at;
katie-mills@hotmail.com
Thankyou! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!! <3
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MissKatieeLou
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mskatieelou


   "I will not stop until I can say I made it"

No comments:

Post a Comment